Homemade Goan Recheado Masala
This red chilli vinegar paste is so versatile and wholesome that it can be used in various recipes.
- ¼ kg Dried Kashmiri Chillies
- 1 nos Tamarind ball medium sized ball soaked in vinegar until soft
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ inch Ginger
- 2-3 nos Garlic Pods
- 5-6 nos Cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 nos Onion
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Vinegar enough to make a thick paste
Grind the chillies, cumin, turmeric, ginger, onion, clove and cinnamon in a little vinegar until well combined and roughly ground.
Next add the tamarind, garlic and some more vinegar.
Add salt and sugar to taste. Blitz a little longer.
Bottle it up and store it in a dry place or refrigerated.
- Add vinegar according to the consistency you want for the paste to be. Do not make the masala too runny. Grind to a fine thick paste.
- Do not add too much sugar as you won't want the masala to be too sweet. You can always adjust the recipe for sweetness according to whatever preparations you'll use the masala for as per your taste.
- This paste can be stored if properly preserved for months.